Finally a denim shirt that has been in the planning for a long time.
I decided to go with Sewaholics Granville pattern instead of Grainline Archer shirt as it was more fitted.
A few alterations were made along the way and a few that should have happened. The sleeves on this pattern are really long. I could have taken off 5cm or more. Unfortunately I realised this after I had sewn them in and the cuff and placket were finished. Luckily for me I find long sleeves irritating and always rolls my sleeves up.
I also took at lease 2cm off each side at the hips. This shirt is defiantly made for the pear shaped.
This was my first attempt at a cuff placket. It was surprisingly easy and came together nicely, not sure why I have avoided them until now. They look scarier than they really are. They do take some extra time but I think the result is well worth it.
The fabric I used was a soft cotton denim that was slightly brushed. It feels so soft and cosy but it has a tendency to cling to its self and anything underneath. The contrasting fabric is a stretch cotton I have planned for making some summer shorts... still waiting for spring to arrive.
I have seen a few sleeveless version around that I like the idea of for the summer. Maybe some lighter fabric in a bold print...
It is officially winter here in The Netherlands and I am always cold. Saying this I struggle to find warm clothes that are practical whilst still feeling pretty and not like I am in my lazy around the house clothes. I sewed up a Zoe Raglan Top without the sleeve pleats and lowered the hem line with side splits. I love the result. I had been eyeing this fabric off for a while but wasn't too such what to make with it.
I kept seeing some amazing Elsa dresses on the online sewing community and secretly wanted to make one too. Luck for me my beautiful niece in Australia is in love with Elsa. I made her this dress for christmas. I am pretty happy with the fit as I was going of measurements and had no-one to try it on first.
Finally I made something wearable for my daughter. I have played with a few commercial patterns and have had such a varied result in sizes it was really discouraging. Some of the newborn sizes were big enough for fit a one year old! I pulled out a Kwik Sew Toddler sewing book from 1979. I used the basic top block and went from there. In saying that I used the smallest size of a T1. This fitted my daughter perfect and she is only 5 months!! Apparently babies were a lot smaller back in the 70's. But I now have a block I can work from so I am happy. Excuse the bad photos. I have realized my lack of photography skills and babies don't mix. Why do they stop smiling only when the camera is out :(